The Recreation topic employs kinesthetic and cognitive challenges to engage students in communication, cooperation, and decision-making. This topic is meant to provide students with new and fun activities that they may not experience anywhere else. Trying new things is an important goal at Pathfinder Ranch. During Horseback Riding students develop responsibility for themselves and their horse while enjoying a beautiful ride through our forest and meadow. Riding must be paired with Canoeing or Horsemanship. During Canoeing students will learn about water safety and paddling techniques before heading out on the water to build communication skills as they work with a classmate to navigate their canoe. During Horsemanship, students get to interact with our horses through ground-based activities such as grooming, feeding, anatomy, and other interesting facts about horses. Archery helps students develop a sense of sportsmanship and camaraderie within the group as they cheer each other on. Students learn about traditional hunting tools, archery background and equipment, proper shooting technique, and concentration. Throughout Team Challenge students develop problem-solving skills and learn how to overcome obstacles in order to successfully reach their goals. ExCEEd is a variation of Team Challenge that involves a horse as a team member causing students to work harder to develop leadership, communication, and problem solving skills. Students leave this topic with a sense of satisfaction in trying something new, camaraderie with their classmates, and confidence after reaching their goals.
Based on the teacher’s activity selections, each class will include the following…
- Horseback Riding- Riding safety, general horse information, and trail ride.
- Canoeing- Paddling directions, water safety, and communication skills.
- Horsemanship- Interact with our horses while doing ground-based animal care activities.
- Archery- Archery background, shooting technique, commands, and practice shooting skills.
- Team Challenge- Importance of cooperation, communication, creative problem solving, and team work.
- ExCEEd- Ground-based horse interactions and challenge activities.
- Every Activity- Trying new things, developing important skills, and setting personal goals.